All war is a symptom of man’s failure as a thinking animal – John Steinbeck
War, it destroys nature, cities, nations and most of all people. War must be the last resort when it comes to resolving conflicts between nations. As the infamous quote says
“War does not determine winners. It only determines who is left.”
However, no matter what we do. No matter how many slogans we raise against war. There are times when it breaks out due to the political conflicts which cannot be contemplated by common people. Yet it is the common people who face the brutalities of war. Specifically, it is women and children (especially girls) who face brutalities the most.
Various international organizations like Amnesty International, Human Rights Watch and even the United Nations Human Rights Commission have stated in their reports that it is women who get affected the most.
We have come a long way in the field of warfare. International agreements like the ‘Geneva Convention’ have made war somewhat more ethical. Yet what these agreements make up in ‘provisions;’ lack in implementation and effectiveness.
Hence, the agenda for the United Nations Women committee in SYNCHRONISMUN 2019 is ‘Protection of girls & women in war zones.’ The committee must work towards achieving a resolution which will have appropriate provisions as well as enforcement mechanisms which will help in achieving the mentioned objectives of the ‘to be’ adopted resolution.
How should you research? Keep in mind the following hierarchy for sources (It is just a guideline)
- Tier 1: Government, International Organizations (UN, IMF, World Bank, Interpol etc.)
- Tier 2: Recognized non-governmental institutions such as Amnesty International, Human Rights watch etc.
- Tier 3: Media houses like British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC), National Geographic, Reuters, Al Jazeera (Not for Middle-eastern issues) etc.
- Tier 4: Other sources. Media houses like Republic TV, Times Now etc. fall in this category.
- Tier 5: Wikipedia
Delegates must keep a few things in mind while preparing for such a committee and agenda. (These guidelines will be useful for first timers)
- Women rights is an extremely sensitive topic. However, your country’s foreign policy and interests take top priority.
- DO NOT let your opinion come in the way for what’s best for your country.
- A common mistake which delegates commit is that they readily agree to agendas such as these simply because it is socially desirable. REMEMBER that no one will judge you or your personality if you speak against a topic like this if you are given a country of that kind.
What should the resolution of UN Women include? (A guideline, not to be followed strictly)
- Independent authority for monitoring status of girls & women in war zones.
- Structure of said authority.
- Criteria or factors which determine status of women
If you have any queries regarding the agenda, feel free to send an email on email@example.com
TheMusing.in condemns the 26like11 Mumbai attacks. It pays respects to the souls who lost their lives in the 26/11 attacks. May they rest in peace.
Donations for TheMusing.in are now open! Donations are purely optional. My content is free and always will be. Click the links below to donate through a portal of your choice. Direct Donations Patreon Donations